pH meter is a scientific instrument, and it is used to measure the pH of a solution. In other words, it measures how acidic or basic the solution is. A solution with a pH of less than seven is considered acidic, and a solution with a pH of more than seven is known as basic, and seven is neutral. An acidic solution has a high concentration of hydrogen ions, whereas a basic solution has a low concentration of hydrogen ions. pH meter measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution and determines the given solution’s pH. PH meter is used in numerous operations, from laboratory trials to quality control.
- The rate and outcome of chemical reactions in water often depend on the acidity of the water, and it is, therefore, useful to know the acidity of the water, typically measured by the name of the pH meter.
- PH meters are used for soil dimension in farming, water quality for External water inventories, swimming pools, healthcare, clinical operations similar to blood chemistry, and numerous other operations.
- Types of ph meter:
There are three types of PH meters-
- In Laboratories, usually, Benchtop pH meters are used. These are used to measure samples brought for analysis to the ph meter. Field pH meters are designed to be held in hand, and these are used to take the pH of a sample in a field or construction site.
- PH meters range from uncomplicated and cheap pen-like gadgets to multiplex and costly laboratory apparatus. The product can be digital or analog, and it can run on batteries or rely on a power supply.
- In-line meters, most frequently called pH analyzers, are used to estimate pH constantly in a procedure and can stand alone or be connected to a higher-level information system for process control.
What are pH indicators?
- Indicators may be used to measure pH by making use of the fact that their color changes with PH.
- Visual comparison of the color of a test mixture with a standard color map.
- More precise measurements can be that color is measured spectrophotometrically.
- The universal identifier consists of an admixture of pointers similar to that there’s a continuous color change from about ph 2 to pH 10.
- Universal identifier paper is made from absorbent paper that has been saturated with a universal identifier.
How to measure ph?
- Primary pH standard values are determined using an attention cell with transference by measuring the implicit difference between a hydrogen electrode and a standard electrode similar to the silver chloride electrode.
- The pH of a dry/aqueous mixture can be measured with a glass electrode, a Ph meter, or a color-changing index.
Now there is various type of pH meter that range from around 1000 to 5000 rupees; it depends on the quality of the pH meter and how much it can work. There are different types of PH meters available in the market; it can be cheap, but the quality will be cheap too and not so durable it can be expensive in that the advantage is it will be of nice quality and be durable. If you are looking for a cheap ph meter, they are also good as they are as accurate as you need for your initial task. But the disadvantage is that these are less precise than professional or high-tech gadgets, but still, they are excellently suitable for many pH computing tasks. Few portable Ph meters are available in the market, and you can get them in the 1000 – 2000 price range. Most of the pH meters have a life span of between 12 to 18 months; they get old with time and temperature; it depends on how much you use it and the type of sample you are measuring, and the care and maintenance of the ph meter.
A few pH models in the market are reusable; they come with a refillable pH electrode that can be used again by filling up the reference solution once it is finished. To ensure that your pH meter is in good condition, you need to clean it at least once a month with the proper cleaning method.
A few common things about pH
- PH is a scale used to specify the acidity or basicity of an aqueous solution for any kind of experiment that you are doing.
- A lower pH value means more acidic in nature.
- A higher PH value means more Basic or alkaline in nature.
- The pH scale is logarithmic and inversely shows the hydrogen ions’ concentration in the solution.
. A lower pH shows a higher concentration of hydrogen ions.
- At 25 degree Celsius,
. PH less than seven is acidic.
. PH grey design 7 is basic.
- The full form of ph is the potential of hydrogen or the power of hydrogen.